Los Angeles Airport
In 1926, the Los Angeles City Council recognized the need for the city to have its own airport. Mines Field had been selected for the 1928 National Air Races. The city leased the land from real estate agent William W. Mines on August 13, 1928, and opened the airport on October 1, 1928, with its first structure, Hangar No. 1, erected in 1929. On June 7, 1930, the facility was dedicated and renamed Los Angeles Municipal Airport. The city purchased the land in 1937 and in 1949 it became known as Los Angeles International Airport.